Online Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
Posted by Dr. Alda Ngo
MBSR is an intensive 8-week, once weekly, group program developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn and associates at the University of Massachusetts Medical School in 1979. It is now an internationally acclaimed program with a growing body of research supporting its psycho-physiological benefits.
It is also used as a standard in studies researching the benefits of Mindfulness, including (but not limited to):
- reduced inflammation and stress
- increased immunity
- decreased blood pressure
- increased brain grey matter (for increased learning, memory, emotion regulation)
- improved fertility
The curriculum is based on an emerging field of mind-body medicine and neuropsychology. Mindfulness actually rewires the brain and strengthens the neural pathways for resilience. It helps us to be less reactive to stressors, to manage and recover more quickly from stress, and to decrease the negative impacts of chronic stress on our bodies.
Through practical training in mindfulness, cognitive behavioural and self-regulation skills, participants learn to cultivate a different relationship with stress and to develop skillful and healthy strategies in response to challenging situations.
The program consists of:
- an orientation
- eight weekly (2½ hour) classes
- a 4-hour Day of Mindfulness Retreat between weeks six and seven
For optimal benefit, this program requires participants to follow daily home practice assignments, designed to assist in the development of an effective, nourishing, and sustainable meditation practice.
Classes include presentations of information and experiential learning through:
- a variety of guided meditation practices
- mindful movement exercises (with optional modifications for safety)
- discussion of the challenges, benefits, and strategies for developing a mindfulness practice in daily life
This psycho-educational program is suitable for anyone looking for practical tools to deal with chronic stress and its negative impacts on the body as well as to improve their overall health and wellbeing.
- Registration is limited to Canadian residents.
- Having a primary physician or therapist is required for registration in this program.
- If you have PTSD, suicidal ideation, untreated substance abuse or you have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, this may not be the program for you. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding your suitability for this program.
Next Online Course
Please note this will be a highly interactive web-based program using Zoom. You will need a high-speed internet connection, a video cam (built-in or external), and an audio microphone (built-in or external).
Monday, June 22, 630-9PM
Mondays, 630 – 9PM
June 29 – Aug 24 (no class Aug 3rd)
Day of Mindfulness Retreat:
Sunday, Aug 16
*Please pay more, if you can, to help support those with financial limitations.
Accessibility is important to us, scholarships are also available to those for whom cost is a barrier. Please contact us for more information.
The deadline for registration is June 22.
Cancellations received prior to the registration deadline will be refunded minus a $100 processing fee. No refunds will be issued after that date.
We reserve the right to cancel this program due to unforeseen circumstances; if this should occur, registrants will be granted full refunds.